Ticking noise after oil change Audi A4 B7 Avant 1.9TDI 115HP

_hugho_

Hi there guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a potential issue I'm having with my A4 B7. I bought the car a month ago and did an oil service on it a week back. I replaced the air filter and oil filter and changed the oil. I used 5w 504.01 Catrol Edge. I put 4 litres in it as the manual said 3.8 and after using 4 was just right on the dipstick. After the oil change, everything was okay made sure until I took it for a decent run on the motorway when a yellow low oil warning came on the dash, I immediately drove 10 mins to a Halfords and filled it up with it more oil after seeing the oil was indeed on minimum.  Since then it has come up once more. But I notice now that the engine makes a ticking/fluttering noise when idling and seems a bit rough. Has anyone experienced this before after a oil change? Did I do something wrong to filter/oil I used? Or is it just the different oil creating a different sound to the engine. I'm looking to bring it to a local mechanic soon enough but don't want to drive the car too much with this present problem. Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by _hugho_

3 hours ago, _hugho_ said:

Hi there guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a potential issue I'm having with my A4 B7. I bought the car a month ago and did an oil service on it a week back. I replaced the air filter and oil filter and changed the oil. I used 5w 504.01 Catrol Edge. I put 4 litres in it as the manual said 3.8 and after using 4 was just right on the dipstick. After the oil change, everything was okay made sure until I took it for a decent run on the motorway when a yellow low oil warning came on the dash, I immediately drove 10 mins to a Halfords and filled it up with it more oil after seeing the oil was indeed on minimum.  Since then it has come up once more. But I notice now that the engine makes a ticking/fluttering noise when idling and seems a bit rough. Has anyone experienced this before after a oil change? Did I do something wrong to filter/oil I used? Or is it just the different oil creating a different sound to the engine. I'm looking to bring it to a local mechanic soon enough but don't want to drive the car too much with this present problem. Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi the oil used sounds about right but absent any brand of oil filter I really could not give an informed opinion, oil viscosity is important was it 05/30?, depending on the milage you may have to go to 05/40 which is not thicker it just has different temperature characteristics.

Steve.

4 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the oil used sounds about right but absent any brand of oil filter I really could not give an informed opinion, oil viscosity is important was it 05/30?, depending on the milage you may have to go to 05/40 which is not thicker it just has different temperature characteristics.

Steve.

Hi Steve cheers for getting back sorry yes i used 5w40. I used a Febi bilstein oil filter. I noticed today that under the turbo housing, there was quite a lot of soot/oil coming from the rocker cover maybe this could help explain things. Kind Regards Hugh.

just a thought i wonder if there is too much oil in it now hence the rough idle.thats what happened when i overfilled my lawnmower lol

Edited by alpha omega

32 minutes ago, alpha omega said:

just a thought i wonder if there is too much oil in it now hence the rough idle.thats what happened when i overfilled my lawnmower lol

I thought the same, but the oil level seems be getting low whenever I drive the car. could be a sign of a leak? Or something else? given I'm not a mechanic I'm not to sure lol. I will bring it one soon enough anyway just to be sure.