5f unit fault/MM1 not working

Hello,

Have just purchased a second hand Audi A1 2011. I noted the radio or display wasnt turning on when I purchased. But I had already fallen in love with the car and purchased anyway thinking it might be a simple fuse replacement. Checked fuses and power supply all seamed to be OK, next step was to run diagnostics, not something I have the gear for, so took it to the audio dealer for diagnositics. They ran a GFF and found faults for 5f unit. They said the whole unit would need to be replaced, and quoted $18,900NZD for the unit (or 8,800pounds since this is a uk forum)(not kidding). Next best was to send it for assessment to see if it can be repaired, so I went with this option, now to sit and wait 10-14days to see if a repair is possible. 

If it turns out it can’t be repaired what are my options? Ultimately I’m not that conerned with the full function of the MM1, as long as the car runs safely, but it would be nice to have a bluetooth radio to play music from my phone. Is it possible to wire in a non audi head unit? 

My other question is does it sound like they’ve done the correct diagnositics. From reading online a small fault anywhere in the MOST bus system could cause an error with the MM1… is it possible they’ll repair the unit and it still might not work. They’ve taken out the head unit to send away, which as far as I understand is just one if the control units in the bus. Keep in mind I’ve only had the car a week and have just based this off what I’ve been reading online. I dont actually have an owners manual or any official refrence.

Interest in getting some sounds playing, but also how it all works, so appreciate any help or info yoy can offer.

Cheers