When breaking should there be wobble In steering wheel

Wolly

Go to solution Solved by Mark M.,

Hi guys Iv got a Audi  a3 2005 3.2l Quattro and when I’m breaking from running out of road if you know what I mean it sends a wobble in the steering wheel please help is this normal or am I just over thinking it 

I agree with Mark, over heating discs. I had this once in my 2002 A6 after extensive Hugh speed driving on the autobahn where I was having to brake hard at different points when cars would just pull out.

Eventually the brakes over heated which caused the vibration through the steering wheel. Once cooled down and back to normal driving it was fine. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to interject, but I would not have closed this thread as Solved. 
There are more questions to ask, and more answers required to confirm this is indeed a disc issue.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Confused 1

Warped brake discs are only a symptom. Real question is - why them got warped, as brake discs not designed to get warped and it's only a symptom of some fault

From my experience of work across range of cars (not posing myself as professional mechanic, only diy-er over 15 years of experience ) , real reason why discs ar getting warped, is faulty or incorrectly working brake caliper:

- Stuck caliper guides

-brake caliper piston got stuck (due rust or dirt under rubber sleeve)

- very rear occasions (in 15 years came across only once) wrongly installed bearing, believe or not, but it happend....  after replacing wheel bearing new brake discs, new/ reconditioned caliper , bleed brake system, it stopped destroy brake discs.

What are consequences of getting faulty caliper...

- warped brake discs, causing vibration while braking and (sometimes) driving.

- car getting severely pulled to one side when braking, in very bad cases, it pulls to one side all the time.

- if driving longer period in that condition, it speeds up destroy bushings and joints.

- overheat the hub, cause wheel bearing grease leak, destroys wheel bearing with continuous consequences.

Sorry, about long text, I felt should share my experience and knowledge, might help others. 

I do feel open of criticism and if someone want add on something, feel free to add. 

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I’ve now removed the ‘Mark as Solved’, and invite Rickie to give us more detail about the when’s and how’s of this. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

My speculation from the phrase "running out of road" is that the braking is harsh enough to trigger the ABS system. The rapid sequence of brake & release pulses can cause vibration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

My speculation from the phrase "running out of road" is that the braking is harsh enough to trigger the ABS system. The rapid sequence of brake & release pulses can cause vibration.

Isn't abs system supposed do opposite, make car controllable in harsh braking conditions? 

Sometimes abs kicks in when caliper is quiet seized, and slight touch to brake, system reads from abs sensor that wheel is stalled, triggers abs, even if there is no needed.

49 minutes ago, Mar4ix said:

Isn't abs system supposed do opposite, make car controllable in harsh braking conditions? 

Sort of. ABS prevents the wheels locking up which means the car can still be steered. (A tyre that is sliding on the road can not provide traction, braking or steering.) It does not make the brakes more effective. The penalty for ABS is the vibration, which can be quite violent, felt throughout the car as the brakes are rapidly applied and released.

If you have a partly seized caliper be grateful for ABS for preventing the car going into a spin. ABS in those circumstances is not unneeded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've felt the effects of ABS and of warped discs.

ABS will shudder the car but you feel it quite aggressively through the brake pedal not the steering. A warped disc will cause the steering wheel to wobble and stop wobbling when you come off the brakes.

Hello Rickie,

Please acknowledge the help you have been given, and fill in the extra background detail required so forum members can better advise you. 
It seems you haven’t returned to the forum since 2 days after you posted. 
Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...