Engine stopped

Gregory A

Hi help required please!

I have a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI S line. It needed some attention, the car was running for about an hour in the drive after not running for 12 months (it did start first time). Then it just stopped. I had identified a slow start issue and noticed the earth cable under the bonnet attached to the block and chassis had partially melted, so I replaced and recarged the battery to full (new battery AGM)

The engine subsequently did turn over however intermittently starter just 'clicks' and intermittently wont start either, just cranks over at a good speed, (fuel supply feels like) battery is good, any help would be welcome?

Best

Edited by Gregory A

1 hour ago, Gregory A said:

Hi help required please!

I have a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI S line. It needed some attention, the car was running for about an hour in the drive after not running for 12 months (it did start first time). Then it just stopped. I had identified a slow start issue and noticed the earth cable under the bonnet attached to the block and chassis had partially melted, so I replaced and recarged the battery to full (new battery AGM)

The engine subsequently did turn over however intermittently starter just 'clicks' and intermittently wont start either, just cranks over at a good speed, (fuel supply feels like) battery is good, any help would be welcome?

Best

Hi if the earth cable was melted you have a bad short somewhere my guess would be the starter, quick question when you replaced the battery did you re code it.

Steve.

Hi Steve, many thanks for the response, i didn't re code no, albeit I do have a basic OBD diagnostic?

PS the electric engine cooling fans kick in as the engine spins over when it does try and start.

2 minutes ago, Gregory A said:

Hi Steve, many thanks for the response, i didn't re code no, albeit I do have a basic OBD diagnostic?

PS the electric engine cooling fans kick in as the engine spins over when it does try and start.

Hi unfortunately in my experience 99% of basic code readers are not worth trying on post 2008 vehicles you would see codes if you went up a couple of levels say Snap on or VCDS, the cheapest and most effective is OBD Eleven at sub £100 this will also enable you to code the battery which is a MUST or the the battery will fail as fast as you can blink, I dont know if your plan is to keep the car but I wouldn't mind betting that a scan with a decent reader would throw up a pandoras box of codes most of them irrelevant but would include the codes you need to solve your problem.

Steve.

Steve invaluable information there.

Apprecitate your help, I'll order the OBD eleven and run through further tests.

I will keep the car as it is pretty low mileage 75k, the damage I believe has been it being sat for 12 months gathering damp.