Checking part numbers for 2004 A4 B6 Avant 1.8T front wings

hannay

Following a low speed crumple in a sports centre car park I'm looking to replace the front left wing, ideally an original of course. Easy enough I'd thought, but when checking what Audi part number to look for I am finding a variety of 8E numbers all alleged as fine for "2004 A4 B6 Avant 1.8T" when entered in to 'identify your part number' services.

A couple of numbers crop up fairly often - 0821135 and 0821105, though with different other letters following (A, B, D, E mostly), but I have also come across references to other 8E******* strings completely different as well that are said to relate fine too.

It's the same with Aftermarket panels too, where the manufacturer's item is described as equivalent to VAG/Audi  8E******* of different configurations but all described however as being for the 2004 A4 B6 Avant 1.8T. Confusing.

I know that sometimes there's compatibility across ranges regardeless of small p/n diferences, but I also know - unfortunately from past experience - that sometimes the smallest difference in a part number can indicate a really big difference in size, fit, material, profile, mounting, orientation and heaps more things in all kinds of auto components across all areas.

So I'm trying to find definitively first what the Audi part number is officially for my car's wing, though I can't find one stamped anywhere I can access on the one fitted. Would seem odd, but maybe VIN is the only for-sure reliable way to go? WAUZZZZ8E65A043080. 

But just on the off-chance, has anyone successfully swapped their front left wing on the same type/model/date vehicle and can say with certainty therefore what the proper # is, or maybe has access to an Audi parts catalogue and can advise? 

Any Guidance much appreciated.

Edited by hannay