Complete Instrument Cluster Failure

endeegee

Hello People,

this started a few days ago when I noticed that the clock wasn't changing and displaying the correct time. I tried changing the time as I normally would, but to no avail. Fast forward to today and I have a complete instrument failure. No Speedo or rev counter, no fuel or temp gauges, and no dash information at all - i.e. gear selection and the usual dashboard wording. That said, all the warning lights do come on and do out as they should once the engine is running, and i do have left and right indicator lights.

Would anyone have any idea as to what's happened? I've contacted my local Audi dealer who has given me a part number for a complete new instrument cluster however they can no longer supply this as Audi no longer make this particular part as of 2022. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated before I contact my garage tomorrow.

• Sad 1

Instrument cluster problems happen from time to time on A3s of that era. A new cluster from Audi will cost you silly money, whereas the old cluster can be repaired by companies such as ECU Testing for less than £300. You will have to remove, post, and refit the cluster if you choose to have it repaired. Scan through this forum's history for examples of people in a similar position who have had their clusters repaired successfully.

• Like 3

Hello Cliff, thanks for your quick reply. Do you know of any companies such as ECU testing that are a little nearer to the Surrey / Kent area? I am in Addlestone, Surrey. Thanks.

59 minutes ago, endeegee said:

Hello Cliff, thanks for your quick reply. Do you know of any companies such as ECU testing that are a little nearer to the Surrey / Kent area? I am in Addlestone, Surrey. Thanks.

Hi just do it the simple way, they have a 2-3 working day turn round, there was one guy on here that had the same problem and they told him the original unit was irreparable so he bought a second hand unit and sent it to them and they programmed it from his old unit checked the doner unit out so it was plug in and play, no brainer really when you consider Audi quoted £3000 + the coding.

Steve.