Audi A5 - High miler worth a punt?

Hi everyone. I’m looking at buying a used Audi A5 from Auction (reason why I will state). It’s a 2.0TFSI, 2010 plate S line spec, it’s in Red with black alloys. Lovely looking car and always wanted to own an Audi A5. My reason for potentially going high mileage is atm I drive all the time. I commute over 80 miles a day, some days over 100 as I work 2 jobs in 2 different cities. I’m going to be doing this for at least another couple of years, so I don’t want to buy a newer lower mileage car because I’m just going to dump 20k+ year on it anyway.

The car in question looks like it’s in decent condition, it was a part ex from a garage and it’s passed its last 4 MOT’s with no advisories and had 11 services (almost serviced every year) so it sounds like it’s been looked after.

Based on the above, working 2 jobs in 2 different cities (Bham and Cov), doing over 2000 miles a month, is this worth a punt? 

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

I'm going to advise against this. The 2.0tfsi is known for piston ring failures and engine failures. Research it on here and on Google. 

Thanks for your advice! Note taken!

53 minutes ago, Magnet said:

What mileage has it done? 

The A5 has 151k. Similarly I drive a 156k Peugeot atm so I have no issue driving higher mileage cars, however just wondering if it was worth it if it went for like £1000. Driving a 56 plate Peugeot ATM and since 2021 I’ve spent 4K on it in keeping it on the road. It’s slow and tired now so just looking at getting something else.

Edited by jayrevans

9 hours ago, jayrevans said:

The A5 has 151k. Similarly I drive a 156k Peugeot atm so I have no issue driving higher mileage cars, however just wondering if it was worth it if it went for like £1000. Driving a 56 plate Peugeot ATM and since 2021 I’ve spent 4K on it in keeping it on the road. It’s slow and tired now so just looking at getting something else.

I appreciate where you're coming from but if you get engine failure or piston ring failure it'll cost more. You'd be better off either a diesel. Like a 1.9 VW pd for reliability 

Hello Jamie,

Thanks for coming back and filling in the detail. 
At a time where most part exchanges are usually traded out direct to local traders, I ask why is this car at an auction site. I know some large warehouses do trade only via. auction, but….so do WBAC. 
Remember, you buy at auction without any trial, and very very limited access to history chases etc, and you get it with all faults  - whether disclosed or not. You simply buy on price. If it need work, can you afford to be without it while it gets repaired? 
Have you done a DVLA Vehicle check on the reg. no. to see when the last V5 was issued - can give useful information on length of previous ownership. Also MOT history check? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.