S4 B7 end of the road or restoration project?

DrNutt

Gutted. My beloved 4.2 V8 has just skipped a tooth due to the famous tensioner problem. Thankfully i wasn't 'driving' it when it happened but it's misfiring on all 4 cylinders on the driver's side but no valves etc have been damaged as far as i can tell.

I checked plugs and coils but issue remains on that side and after inspection by a local garage it's fairly conclusive what the issue is.

What would you do? Future resoration project or call it a day? The quote was eyewatering!

cheers!

• Sad 1

Hello Rob,

Sorry to hear of your problem. ‘No valves etc. damaged….’. The best way to confirm that is to get a compression test carried out on that bank to hopefully confirm your belief. That has to be your starting point for considering the car’s future. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

Thanks Gareth, anny suggestions re welcome at this stage so will make that my first mission just to be certain.

I think i will probably sell it to someone with more time/tools/experience on their hands but naturally want to be open about the condition of the poor thing!

Shame really, 'twas (still is) a glorious wagon!

Cheers!

Rob,

IMG_8370.JPG

Edited by DrNutt
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 3:05 PM, DrNutt said:

Gutted. My beloved 4.2 V8 has just skipped a tooth due to the famous tensioner problem. Thankfully i wasn't 'driving' it when it happened but it's misfiring on all 4 cylinders on the driver's side but no valves etc have been damaged as far as i can tell.

I checked plugs and coils but issue remains on that side and after inspection by a local garage it's fairly conclusive what the issue is.

What would you do? Future resoration project or call it a day? The quote was eyewatering!

cheers!

I feel your pain as I'm.in a similar boat with my A6. Mines still off the road as the engine rebuild cost is eye watering. But finding a 2nd hand engine that'll work is just as hard as it all.has to be coded and work with the injection pump, ECU and instrument cluster. 

If you decide to put in a 2nd engine and you find someone who can do it plus coding please let me know as I'd be very interested. 

• Like 1

I have my mate coming round soon to help do the compression test, he’s had a few Audi V8s over the years so knows a thing or two!

I’ll let you know about the engine swap as it’s something I’ve also considered however you never really know the full history so may be false economy.

Tough one!