ENGINE BAY SMOKE /CABIN SMELL

audiowna

I have an Audi A6 S-line 2.0TDI 177 2013 (c7) - Multitronic Gearbox

For the past year or so you can see smoke bellowing out from under the bonnet from the engine bay and you get this awful smell in the cabin (exhaust fumes, burning oil smell).

The smoke is coming from the back of the engine to the left (as you are looking at it). The engine bay on this side is covered in black soot 

This only happens when the DPF starts to regen in traffic or after doing a couple of short journeys. I have replaced part no 03L131521 JV200 (EGR Connection Pipe) as I thought it was this but the smoke keeps on coming. 

Coolant and Oil levels remain the same. I don’t have any lights on my dashboard either. I can tell the car is doing the DPF regen when I get the smell and see the smoke and the car starts to use a bit more fuel.

The car runs fine, isnt down on power etc etc. Exhaust flow is OK. No visible oil leaks either.

Has anyone had anything similar? 

Edited by audiowna

hi darragh i had the same issue on a 14 A5 and it was the pipe just under the egr valve,its shaped like a horseshoe and a pig of a pipe to change especially the 2 bolts at the back,it solved my problem tho,is this the same pipe you changed?Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Greg, 

Have you got any photos of the pipe you changed? 

I’ve attached an image of the pipe I  changed out. 

IMG_6406.thumb.jpeg.8d33dbf91f14589ec9c3882a8fade404.jpeg

Thanks for your reply!

12 hours ago, coupe4 said:

hi darragh i had the same issue on a 14 A5 and it was the pipe just under the egr valve,its shaped like a horseshoe and a pig of a pipe to change especially the 2 bolts at the back,it solved my problem tho,is this the same pipe you changed?Greg