B2 Coupe 5Cyl - should I buy one?

athwyorks

Hello. Relative newbie here, although an Audi-phile for 45 years. I'm always a bit anxious posting a new thread/topic in case I haven't found an existing one to add to but here goes. I owned a 1983 Coupe 5E Fi for a few years in the early 90s (A260MUM) and was lucky enough to own a 1984 UR Quattro Turbo for a couple of years in the early 00s. I regret selling both, bitterly, but circumstances prevented me from keeping either at the time. Now I have some time and funds I'm keen to recapture my youth and replace the 1980s 2WD Coupe, preferably with one like I had, the pre-facelift 1983/84 model. I won't have a garage big enough to dry keep it for a few years but I feel like if I don't acquire one soon they will become too pricey and rare for my wallet so I may have to buy and dry store until I have the correct facilities. My question, after all this waffle, is how practical is it for me to consider having one at all? What is spares availability like generally? My impression is that bodywork, interior, lights and fittings are rare and expensive. Running gear, mechanicals and electrics are reasonable. I consider the B2 Coupe to be reasonably simple to work on but I was in my 20s when I last owned one. All opinions welcome. Should I just be happy with a more resilient and plentiful Mk1 TT Coupe Quattro as my weekend toy?

Thanks for the encouragement. I recall carrying out the common (although I didn't know at the time) welded repair to the OS lower door hinge A-pillar due to the probably blocked sunroof drains. It was about 10 years old when I sold it so the other usual rust spots hadn't developed. Plus being a pre-facelift there were no enclosed bumpers to hide salt and grit behind. I'll keep looking then.....

I will do...but it may take a while as they are quite rare now. I'm kicking myself for missing the perfect car a couple of weeks ago. I was abroad when one turned up at auction. I couldn't get registered in time to bid and it went for a figure within my budget. Hey ho.

Anyone any tips on where to look beyond this forum, eBay and Car & Classic?

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. 

Definitely try eBay, car and classic and even Facebook marketplace. But with Facebook marketplace or eBay don't hand over any cash without seeing the car as there's a lot of scams. 

• Like 1