replacing HID Bulb in a A3 14 Reg

etaf

Hi 

I have a A3 2014 reg , and the dipped beam buld intermittently goes - I got the warning about it - which was on all the time - BOTH the dipped and headlight do not work 

I popped into halfords to get a bulb change - which i have done on other cars - as its just as easy for them to put the correct bulb in 

BUT they say its a HID bulb and they cannot change as its a wheel arch removal 

on the way home , switched the lights on and it worked ok for about a mile and then went again 

purchased the bulb  DS3 (they checked the reg) - £50+

looking at youtube videos , it does appear wheel off, arch out and then either an anticlockwise twist or some complicted spring assembly 

got a low level jack and axle stands , garage cant get to it for weeks , been waiting for the rain to stop long enough to start on the job , as i cannot get it into my garage and jacked up with enough room to work on.

just a little concerned it may not be the bulb 

And i purchased 2 bulbs as i read something about colour changes etc , so i may get around to doing both sides 

Also supposed to be some high voltage on the bulb 

BUT my question , DO these bulbs go intermittent , I assume a problem with the ballast thing on the back of the bulb - hope so , and should you change in pairs 

thanks

2 hours ago, etaf said:

Hi 

I have a A3 2014 reg , and the dipped beam buld intermittently goes - I got the warning about it - which was on all the time - BOTH the dipped and headlight do not work 

I popped into halfords to get a bulb change - which i have done on other cars - as its just as easy for them to put the correct bulb in 

BUT they say its a HID bulb and they cannot change as its a wheel arch removal 

on the way home , switched the lights on and it worked ok for about a mile and then went again 

purchased the bulb  DS3 (they checked the reg) - £50+

looking at youtube videos , it does appear wheel off, arch out and then either an anticlockwise twist or some complicted spring assembly 

got a low level jack and axle stands , garage cant get to it for weeks , been waiting for the rain to stop long enough to start on the job , as i cannot get it into my garage and jacked up with enough room to work on.

just a little concerned it may not be the bulb 

And i purchased 2 bulbs as i read something about colour changes etc , so i may get around to doing both sides 

Also supposed to be some high voltage on the bulb 

BUT my question , DO these bulbs go intermittent , I assume a problem with the ballast thing on the back of the bulb - hope so , and should you change in pairs 

thanks

Hi no they dont go intermittent, if the bulb goes pink its the bulb, any sort of flashing or going on and off is the ballast unit which is separate from the bulb on D3s bulbs, my daughters lights went this summer so I replaced both bulbs and ballast units which is best practice, the oem ballasts are available on eBay for not much money.

Steve.

thanks

Where are the ballast units ?

thought they where on the back of the bulb