Q5 2011 engine replacement

Craigq5

Hi folk, 

I have a Audi q5 2011 170bhp model engine code is CGLB and on a sticker there is “CGLB 02654*”  the engine is knackered and I’m going to try find a new one, I am wondering if the new engine needs to have the 02654 part or can it just be CGLB, is there any info that may be useful to me before I buy anything as I am not a mechanic and not to sure, of course I will be getting a mechanic to fit the engine but I will need to source it, basically just looking for a bit advice from someone who may know. Thanks in advance

I've had a similar problem with my A6. In order for an engine to work it needs to have the matching ECU, injection pump. If it's not the same engine code it'll need to be coded to the current injection pump. As the injection pump, ECU and instrument cluster are all linked with the imobiliser. Or that's at least the case with my older A6. 

If you find someone who can do the engine swap and it's not the same engine code then please let me know 

1 minute ago, Craigq5 said:

Hi Steve, is the engine code just the CGLB part or would that include the numbers after it also? Thanks

Just letters I believe.