1st time Audi Owner

Thirtyseven10

Just bought a 59 plate audi a3 TDIe sport sportback, got a fairly good deal but the service history is a little shady. No record of a cam belt change and it's on 96,000 miles so I'm getting that done first.

Just wondering if there are any reccomendations on the biggest service related items I should look at getting done to ensure nothing catastrophic happens, and that it continues to run smoothly.

All help appreciated.

Hi Paul....welcome to the Forum

Very wise getting the cambelt done straight away...'if in doubt' as they say!

If it were me I would get everything replaced (filters and fluids) at this stage, big outlay but then at least you know the service history from there on.

Let us know how it all goes

Cheers  Trevor

Hello Paul,

I certainly agree with Trevor and Bradley, and I think you are on the right lines to be concerned to get the servicing items changed now so you have a good base point to move foreward from.

This is diesel? Replacing the fuel filter would be a good idea as well as what has been mentioned. Also the often overlooked but well used wiper blades. Try Bosch Aerotwins - there are others but...You say it's had a basic oil and filter service. Do you know what make of oil has been used and what filters? I have a thing about using main dealer (or maybe good quality German parts) for service items rather than slightly cheaper brands - on the basis that your labour is cheap!  - so spend your saving wisely on good quality parts and oil. 

Same with timing belt and assembly and particularly ( in capitals really!)  the water pump please  just don't replace it with anything other than VAG. IF you want to save a few shillings on the cambelt and tensioners then I would only go with Gates as the second option. There are discounts available with some VAG dealers so shop around. I can give you one contact if it helps.

Yes, good idea about changing the coolant.

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1