How to drive DSG? Plus common faults

IheartVAG

Hi all,

First timer,  went to test drive high spec 2006 a3 today but it seemed to have a few issues. Knocked him down on price and said I'd give him a yes or no on Monday after I'd sought info on the issues. Just want some advice really as I really want the car its perfect for my needs and great condition overall just don't want to get stung with pricey repairs. 

So first issues that may seem unrelated but my brother suspects is body control module fault, passenger window only goes down from passenger side, but up from both passenger and drivers side, central locking seemed fine until it locked us out on test drive when I had parked up and locked it. It would lock but not unlock and when opening door manually hazards flash. I have the exact same set of faults on my 6n2 polo!!! Sometimes it locks me in!  

Does this sound like bcm? Is it an expensive fix if so?  If not the bcm what could it be? So bizarre that mine has exact same symptoms so it has to be a common fault?

Now second issue,  and this might sound like a dumb question but I would like to rule out operator error, how do you drive a semi-auto?  It was advertised as DSG and has sport mode and paddle shift. My bf told me to check the kickshift works so I tried and it seemed to be very sluggish to select 2nd when I floored it. I've since read it has a torque restrictor to protect the gearbox so this may cause a delay if I'm not at a suitable torque for the downshift. Again in manual there was a delay downshifting to second but very rapid up shift to 3rd. I assumed (and my bro) that the box has a fault (even though it had new clutch(es?) and flywheel and gearbox service less than 20k ago. We thought it was second gear but thinking back I only kickshifted into second and not any other gears as we were on a 30 road with cameras,  so delay could be me not doing it correctly? Flooring too aggressively and trying to downshift when rpm is too high,  after all I'm used to driving my polo which revs high and needs a downshift to 4th at 60 to get enough torque to overtake. I can't say I noticed any gear change issues when ambling along and not dicking about trying to test the kickshift etc. I am hoping to find another with same spec to test drive tomorrow so at least I will have a reference point! 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Hi Samantha....welcome to the Forum

The first issue could well be BCM but also it could be the way it's set up with the coding..either way it would need scanning and testing to confirm.

The second issue, the best solution as you have already stated is to try another one and do a comparison.  Chances are they never coded the transmission in properly once it was rebuilt.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

Hi,  thanks for the reply.  

I bought the car and had it delivered to my friend at Tamworth  Vehicle Services. He's very experienced with VAG motors and told me the box is normal. The fob was taken apart and cleaned and now works,  the door and window issue was that the loom had been disconnected for some reason.  

When my friend picked me up in the car the gear change was barely perceptible. When driving myself I usually am only aware of gear change due to auditory cues. 

It runs like new now I'm very happy with it.  Main issue for me now is the strong cig and doggy odour which wasn't apparent when I tested it as it had just come from valet! Plus there are other niggles I need to address.

I spent 6 hours cleaning it today so the smell is improved a little. 

• Like 1