2006 A3 Clutch isue

SmokeyUK

I have a 2006 A3 2.0TDI (140) 8PA.  I have been having a whining noise coming from the gearbox area, that goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed for sometime now.  

I suspected it was the dual mass flywheel, due to the rattling symptoms when at idle and pulling away.  So I decided to leave it until the flywheel just goes.  Well now it is, and I think I may of caused a little more damage than first thought.

So theses are all my symptoms and what I think is think is the cause, I just need to know if I am correct.

• Rattling at idle - Flywheel
  • Light screech when changing 1st to 2nd, goes when giving it a little gas - Flywheel
  • Thud when selecting 3rd gear above 20mph - Flywheel
  • When deaccelerating, rattling from gearbox area, goes when pulling away - Flywheel
  • 5th gear intermittently engages, grinds gears when not - Flywheel?
  • Patches of oil on my drive way - Slave cylinder?
  • Strong smell of oil inside the cabin - Slave cylinder?
  • The initial whine when when moving (now louder) - Flywheel 
  • Clutch pedal sticks half way after changing gear, releases fully on acceleration - Slave cylinder?

I have a new clutch and a flywheel arriving today, but I am wondering if the slave cylinder could also go as a result of the flywheel failing?  (excessive pressure??)

Thanks in advance  :smile:

Hi .... welcome to the Forum

Firstly, it does sound like the working clearance has been reduced over time (usually pressure of a foot resting on the clutch pedal) which has destroyed the release bearing and this is why it is screaming/rattling.

The clunking could also be the flywheel on its way out but you won't know until you get in there.

Rule of thumb is as everything sounds like it's worn/damaged, it is advisable to replace it all while you're in there as it is a false economy not to.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

Well, I had my tech look at it, he is 90% sure the flywheel has gone, and also he found metal filings in the gearbox oil, and the inside of the casing damaged.  So its a new gearbox on top.  So I have ordered a used gearbox (with warranty), and having it repaired this Saturday.  I will let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

Oh dear Smokey - that does not sound a good outcome, and I guess it goes without saying that you will be changing the clutch slave cylinder ( (as asked for initial advice) as well - relative peanuts of an add-on cost. 

Not sure if I should say this, but perhaps your bad experience may just be of benefit to others about the perils of letting things get worse before attending to them. 

Anyway Smokey, let's hope it all works out better than it could be for you.

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Where abouts are you? 

• Like 1

Many thanks Smokey.

It's probably me, but I wouldn't entertain carrying out all this work and expense, and then not changing the slave cylinder - effectively the only clutch component you won't be changing. 

I just asked about where you were since it is normally listed ( perhaps not filled in) and your reference to "my tech" almost sounded American.

As I say, good luck in getting it sorted properly.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

I agree Gareth. It could be false economy not to renew the slave cylinder. Here's an old platitude that's actually true, "Do a job properly and you only do it once; do it poorly and you'll be doing it again and again."