Red oil light Audi a3 2003 oil pressure or low oil?

Aj88

Hi guys so I purchased an Audi a3 2003 1.6 the other day and the red oil light has come on (just my luck). The previous owner claims it wasn't on when he had the car which is obviously bs but there is nothing I can do about that. 

There is no noise coming fromthe engine and today I got the oil filter changed, new oil put in and a new sensor for the oil pressure put in. However after driving about 15 miles the light came on again. 

I noticed when checking the lights on the dashboard there isn't a yellow oil light it's just red. Does this mean that the red light indicates both low oil and low oil pressure. When the mechanic emptied the oil almost totally we turned the engine on to see if the oil light would come on and it didn't which was obviously very strange. Any thoughts on this? 

Main question on this model Is there a yellow oil sign?

Welcome to the club from a fellow newbie. Sorry to hear your having issues already. 

Has your car had an oil flush? I had an issue with my diesel A6 where it said low oil pressure. Flushed the system and put in new oil and it was ok. 

I believe the "oil pressure low" light and "oil level" light are different. 

Hace you got a picture of your dash and light which may help the more experienced members on here? 

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. 

Cheers 

Steve 

• Like 1

Hi Ali....welcome to the Forum

As Steve Q has already mentioned the oil flush...I would totally agree with doing that.

You can probably still get one that I used to use in my garage which was made by Comma (I think) and it was in a 5 litre container. You would drain out the old oil (but if yours is new...keep it in a clean drain tray) and fill the sump half full with the flush oil. Run the engine for about 10 minutes at high idle speed. Drain it out and then put your old (new) oil back in.

You would be amazed at how much crap comes out in the flush.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers  Trevor