Avant - Scraping noise at high speed 6th Gear

Krishumphreys1991

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, so go easy!

I drive an 2007 Avant; 2.0 tdi quattro (170bhp). Lately, at high speed, or when shifting down at high revs - I can hear a scraping/grinding noise when I accelerate, usually around the 60-80mph mark. The noise is coming from the passenger side of the car, near where I assume the driveshaft is. 

I'm no mechanic, so would really appreciated some advice on this - its a bit of a terrifying noise when I'm rolling down the motorway in 6th. 

To add to this, I'm aware of the poor mpg from this model, but I'm getting like 20mpg around town & 50 on the motorway. There is a bit of a stutter, hesitation when in the mid rev range, could it be something to do with this? 

Thanks in advance

Kris

IMG_9303-2.jpg

Hi Kris...welcome to the Forum

Great looking car, sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

I would personally have the transmission checked over as if the noise is only occurring around 60-80mph then it suggests that it is relating to the 6th gear only.

This also may have some bearing on the mpg also, although only marginally I would imagine.

Let us know how you get on with this

Cheers  Trevor