Cambelt

Tezet

Hello Tom,

Good to hear you are concerned to do the right thing in respect of cambelt changes. 

A couple of questions:-  What date (year) was the belt changed when the mileage was 75K?

What make parts were used at the last change- Audi, or aftermarket (what make if so?) and was the water pump changed at the same time, and if so, again what make? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 2

Hello

I don't know if I have all details.Cambelt was changed 4 yrs ago I think.I have bill at home so I will check later on.Don't know about water pump.

Hello Tom, 

This is always going to be a critical issue since failure is likely to result in catastrophic engine problems. If this has been correctly dealt with in your ownership then you should have confidence that 4 years and 50k miles should still be within an acceptable service period. 

However, if let's say the 'cambelt was changed' - i.e.  just the belt was changed,  then things may not be as serviceable as they should be. Probably the bill will reveal the important detail. 

Perhaps you could let us know and I'm sure help will be at hand.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hello Tom,

Thanks for filling in some of the detail. It's now fair to expect that you need a specific answer whether you should/when you should change this cambelt and its associated components. Perhaps someone can come up with the official recommendation for you which will be x years or x miles whichever comes first. Say 8 years or 80k miles could be taken as a guide, but from my side, a guide only it would be, while we wait for a more informed reply. Of course, you could contact your local dealer and they will definitely advise you, and they often have offers on these sort of critical jobs. 

My concern would be that although you may still be within the change limits, you are uncertain of what quality of components were used, and water pumps in particular are known to be of highly variable quality from aftermarket suppliers, and form a critical link in this application. 

My advice:- contact a couple of the nearest dealers and ask for the recommended change information and see if there are any offers on at the moment. As I said in my original reply, I think you are wise to fact find this. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.