Efficiency mode display

Horrgakx

Hi all - first post ;)

i picked up my S4 a couple of weeks ago and I’ve not fully sussed it out yet. One of the things bugging me is why, in Efficiency mode, sometimes it displays E followed by the gear number and sometimes it displays D followed by the gear number. 

Whats the difference between D and E? (Pics attaches hopefully). Note, the picture showing D has the auto start/stop inactive next to it so ignort that and pretend it’s a number :)

FD23DA61-5E44-4B09-A583-4AB1973CAA56.jpeg

DB5D2552-8D07-4E7A-861D-E504135C5447.jpeg

• 7 months later...

My new 3.0 Sport does the same thing.  Set it to "Efficiency" and it stays showing "E" till you turn off the engine, then on restart it displays "D" with "EFFICIENCY" underneath.  Feels like the "efficiency" gearbox mapping though, but not quite so willing to go into freewheel - that may just be me not being used to it yet.  Don't know why.  (Seems there's no reason for it - it's just policy....  It holds all the other settings after restart)

I wish they’d do a decent instruction manual which explains exactly how it all works and all the permutations...

Ive not seen anything that’s been able to explain it all.  It appears to be locked away as a black magic algorithm in the electronics somewhere.